February 25, 2020

I haven’t been able to update for a few days because I’ve been having problems with the website. Not my problem, the website provider’s problem. It’s most annoying. Somehow I got it fixed, no thanks to the website provider. If for some reason I disappear off this page it’s because I’ve had to switch providers. I was all set to do so and then — unbelievably — ta da! Here I am, able to update.
Stupid technology.
Mom is fine. She’s convinced there’s someone besides her, me, and the dog living here. She asks every night, and today after her afternoon nap, who else is supposed to be here, where everyone went, etc. I changed the subject quick today and that seemed to help, but, pathetically, I am not quick on my feet and can’t come up with diversions, distractions, and lies quickly enough to avoid a long string of repeating questions about where everyone is and who else lives here.
I have some ideas for blog posts, but I can’t write them now. I’m exhausted all the time, and mom’s got me out and about every afternoon. She doesn’t want to stay home. I can’t keep up with chores, mail, or anything else because we always have to go somewhere and do something. Usually it’s lunch and shopping because my time is limited and we can’t go do activities like museums and such during the week. On weekends I’m worn out. I’m going to change all that once I’m done working. For now, I’m just too tired for everything.
The wall clock in the family room died last weekend. We both realized in the few days that we didn’t have one that we both look at that clock a lot.  And the lamp in the front window died, too. We went to two stores looking for a lamp. We went to ten stores looking for a clock. Who knew it would be so hard to find a suitable clock???
Also, we bought a big box of Lego at Costco. It’s a good activity for people with dementia, and mom had asked me several weeks ago to dig out the box of Lego from my childhood. It apparently went to my nephews because it’s no longer in the drawer where it’s lived for 40 years. I’ll get it out and encourage mom to play so that she’ll do that while I’m working these last four weeks. She gets bored and her sundowners gets bad while I’m working.
Baseball has started and she was able to see a preseason game on TV already. That’s good. She loves baseball. Although, it doesn’t seem as if she watched the whole thing. I had to go to work so I don’t know when she turned it off, but when I asked who won she told me she gave up on them. They were winning when I went to work so… why’d she give up? I think her attention span is getting shorter. Normal, but what does this mean for where she is in the progression of the condition? I’m always on the lookout for that, as if I can prepare myself for the outcome if I know when the outcome will come out.
This is a long post that says not much but I had a lot to get off my chest. My online support group is great, but ultimately I’m alone in this and typing out these little updates help me to clear my head. If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.